A CLOUD OF QUILT PATTERNS: AN ENCYCLOPEDIA OF PATTERN IN BLOG FORM UPDATES & ADDITIONS BY BARBARA BRACKMAN

Monday, November 28, 2016

Four Patch 1: Just Plain Four Patch

Can I find a quilt for every pattern drawn in BlockBase?
We'll find out.


The Four Patches should be easy.
Especially those pieced of squares only.

Here's #1101, the basic four equal squares

About 1900

Blocks set on point with alternate plain squares

Same time, set on point with red sashing strips.

Ann Hermes has a pair of Pennsylvania pillowcases
in her Etsy store---mid-century.

What's the oldest four patch I have on file?

This one's dated 1830.

Alternate plain white squares with plain whites in the four patches too.

I was surprised I couldn't find any earlier example---
Nine patches seem to have been much more popular before 1830.

Then there's this variation
BlockBase #1103. Carrie Hall called it a Four-Patch
but I'd call it a Double Four Patch today.


That's the name I used to do a web search for some of these.

Supposed to be date-inscribed 1876.

All #1103




I'm surprised I haven't any vintage versions of #1105, which the Kansas
City Star published as the Carrie Nation Quilt

MsDolittle did one for my Grandmother's Choice Block of the Week
a few years ago.

I made one with my niece Natasha in 1987.

And one for her niece Sophia about 10 years ago.



#1107 A Nine Patch in a Four Patch
from about 1880.

I have seen a lot more four patches set in a nine patch
than I've seen of this pattern--- #1107.

Here's a great simple four patch:
#1107 alternating with a plain old four patch #1101.
From the Rick Rack Blog.
See a free pattern for a variation at my regular blog here:

I thought I didn't have a number for this interesting repeat

but I'm calling it a variation of #1104

if it's a double four patch and shaded like this.
Farm Journal called it Squares Upon Squares.

Set on point it could make a Valentine.

No comments:

Post a Comment